Last Week's Sermon
In the Event of an Emergency
The Reverend Matt Gaventa
A Reading from the Gospel of Matthew At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, ‘Truly I tell …
Posted November 9, 2017
UPC is an urban church one block from the University of Texas campus. We offer robust programming for our congregation and provide space for meetings and to such diverse groups as Street Youth Ministry of Austin, campus AA and Al-Anon meetings. We are a multi-cultural church offering services to address the needs of the homeless and economically-disadvantaged. UPC hosts UPLift on Tuesdays, providing financial assistance to those who need help along with offering food and fellowship. UPC partners with other area churches in the Micah 6 food pantry which operates from our location on Thursdays and Saturdays.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to
Julie Miller, Chair UPC Staff Support.
- Full-Time – (35 – 40 hours per week) Primary hours:
- Saturday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Monday – Wednesday 8:00 or 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Compensation: $15 per hour plus benefits
- A self-starter who will take personal pride in the appearance and functionality of our church. Sees things that require attention and takes the initiative to address issues on his/her own by cleaning, repairing, notifying others or scheduling maintenance. Enjoys a hands-on approach to cleaning, and repairing. Willing to do what it takes to preserve our facility and make it shine!
This position has various roles.
- Must acquire and maintain a broad understanding of the needs of the church building and grounds. Identifies necessary maintenance issues on the church property, including routine upkeep and any major repairs. Makes a daily survey of the church building and grounds to check for maintenance and upkeep needs. Coordinates with appropriate staff, service vendors, and church volunteers to facilitate appropriate repairs.
- Maintains a staff-accessible log of building maintenance issues and repair needs. Serves as facility liaison to church staff in all capacities including weekly staff meetings. Serves as staff liaison to the church Building & Grounds committee which oversees the budget for these areas. Serves as primary contact for outside maintenance vendors and contractors. Learns the regular calendar schedule to anticipate the needs that could require attention from the position.
- Provides janitorial services according to an agreed upon schedule to maintain and clean the building and grounds including: cleaning all church offices, restrooms, kitchens and public areas. Regular duties include but are not limited to: Sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, sanitizing, cleaning carpets, changing light bulbs, putting away dishes, fixing or repairing things that break or contacting others to ensure repairs are made. Sets up tables and chairs as needed for all church events and meetings. Maintains supply of restroom, pantry, and janitorial consumables; ordering of new consumables via UPC Office Manager; storage and setup of major church equipment; and, other duties that may be assigned in alignment with the church’s mission.
- Prepares the building to receive visitors. Unlocks doors, turns on lights as needed, prepares coffee, confirms the HVAC system is properly scheduled, sets up signage for the disabled drop-off area, clears any trash in the courtyard(s), around the building along San Antonio St and 22nd St., and makes sure the inside is clean and tidy.
- Helps receive deliveries and moves them to appropriate storage areas.
- Assists other staff members, church members or visitors as needed.
- Sets up equipment for recording of worship services, and makes sure the microphones are working in the sanctuary.
- May help with building safety as needed.
Operating Skills, Knowledge & Abilities, Education, Experience & Skills Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- Basic maintenance/handy skills are required while plumbing, electrical and basic HVAC problem solving would be a plus.
- Must be able to communicate (speaking and written) well. Ability to communicate via email and text a plus.
- Must be able to handle competing priorities while remaining composed and professional.
- Must be friendly, courteous, service-oriented, and enjoy working with diverse populations.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be a dependable team player.
Equipment Requirements: Qualified candidates will be familiar with regular tool usage, power washer, leaf blower, vacuum cleaner, carpet cleaner, etc.; Ideal candidates will be familiar with computers, telephones, television, monitors, recording devices, etc.
Special Requirements: Ability to lift 30–50 lbs.; ability to work in an upright standing or sitting position, ability to quickly and easily navigate the property/building as required to meet the job functions, comfortable on ladders. Should be open to “flex hours” as needed to accommodate church calendar changes such as funerals, weddings, special services, etc.
Free parking is offered in the parking garage across the street.